Sunday, July 1, 2012

A PSA


I've been crazy busy this week.  Actually, I should say craziER and busiER than usual.  Life around here typically moves at a breakneck pace somewhere between mach 1 and insanity on most days, but lately, it's been ridiculous. 

Remember that saying, "running around like a chicken with its head cut off?"  That would be me, except I'm not a chicken, and I have a head - even if it is a head in desperate need of sleep and a touch-up.

Whenever I'm in these overwhelming, can't-get-off-of-the-hamster-wheel moments, all I can think of is getting through them.  I want to move past whatever events or challenges are stealing my time and attention and get to the other side as quickly as possibleso that I can enjoy life again.  I dream of a day when I can relax and not do anything.  I fantasize about stopping time. 

For an equally busy friend of mine, time has stopped for her and her family, but not in the way any of us would want.  Her twenty-something daughter was tragically killed by a speeding drunk driver who plowed into her car as he failed to stop for a stop sign.  One single, senseless, selfish decision by someone has caused a young life to be snuffed out too soon and a family to be torn apart.  Someone's bad judgment and irresponsibility has stopped the clock for them, freezing  this painful day forever in their memories.

Today, as I work to meet all of my duties and responsibilities and challenges, I'm going to do my best to appreciate the fact that I'm still here, and my family is still here.  I'm going to remember how blessed I am to have such a full life to live.   It may be messy and tough to manage but it's mine and I'm grateful for it.

And I'm going to hug my kids.  Tightly.  Even the too-cool older ones.  And when they complain, I'm going to hug them again because some moments can't be repeated too often. 

You might want to do the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment